Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Jury doodie

This unfriendly looking building is where I had the misfortune of having to spend my morning. Jury duty. Ugh. The sheet they have you fill out when summoned says if you can't find childcare you can postpone your service, so I filled out the sheet and indicated to them that that was indeed the case. They sent me back a very impersonal letter that basically said, "We don't care. Show up." Jason took a vacation day so I could make my disgruntled way to Leavenworth. I show up, wait around, then I'm called up to the box with seats...unaware that that's where they actually draw the jurors from. As the morning wears on I become increasingly aware of my predicament, so when the smarmy lawer (seriously, he tooted his own horn for like 20 minutes, trying to make it seem as though he was asking legitimate questions.) asked if we had any pressing matters that would make it hard/impossible to come in the next couple days, I raised my hand. "I am a stay at home mom with a three year old and don't have any kind of access to alternate childcare." (he had the gall to smirk!) "So how is it you were able to come in today?" "Uh, my husband took a vacation day." "Does he have enough time built up to be able to take a couple more days?" (shocked pause, I can't believe he asked me that) "He...dooooeeees......." (another smirk) "But obviously that's not what you'd LIKE to happen." (a healthy dose of incredulity injected into my voice.) "OBviously." I think I hit just the right note that made him realize I would probably not be in his pocket and therefore was not chosen. Ka-ching. The legal system, while obviously necessary, holds no fascination whatsoever for me. I realize it does for some people (and some were there today, one of whom made it on, good for her) but I haven't got a left brain at all and therefore find it to be largely boooooooooooooooring. I made it back home a little after noon, just as Jason and Bri were walking to the mailbox. Bri was wearing pigtails and skipping across the lawn. She ran up to the car, I opened the door, and she threw her cuddly self at me for a big bear hug. It was ever so good to be home.

No comments: