Friday, July 4, 2008

1776

Happy 4th, all! This afternoon I went to Sonic to get a soda and was transported back nearly 10 years to July 4th, 1999. It was the Summer between my Junior and Senior years of high school and I was working as a carhop at the Sonic in the horrid little town in southeastern Colorado where my family lived at the time. It was hot and dry (oh so dry) and right about 2 or 3 pm, during the peak heat of the day, I was delivering food to a customer and just as I handed him the paper sack with his burgers, *GOOSH!!!* bloody nose. I grabbed a napkin and held it to my face as I scrambled to get the customer his change. I got a horrified, "Keep it!" Thanked him, apologized profusely, then went into the building. My manager made me drink water and sit in the walk-in freezer until I cooled off. Anyhow, this year was spent at Jen and Hans' place in Eudora. Nifer and Julie were there as well as one of Julie's friends, and we watched Hans' firework show in the backyard then played a little nighttime volleyball. It was terrifying because none of us had any athletic prowess to begin with, and you couldn't see the ball until it was hovering right over your head. Eep! After a while we started playing some improv warmup games, just for kicks. Leigha and Brianna spent most of the time indoors, as Brianna was freaked out by the fireworks and Jen put a movie on for them. Leigha joined them when the fireworks were done. Jason conversed with the boys and joined them out front so they could play war with the little tanks Hans had gotten. Being an American rocks!

No comments: