Saturday, July 19, 2008

Learning from Don Quixote

We finally made it! Jason, Bri and I touched down at John Wayne International around 10 this morning. We headed out of the secure area to be greeted by my mom, dad, and an ecstatic Leigha. Picked up the rental car, ate lunch at a seaside road diner, then drove down to San Diego where my grandparents live. I love being back in my home state. Everything feels right here to me. We got in around 3:30 or so and spend the day visiting my grandparents. My mom complained about how my grandma always opens her birthday presents before her actual birthday and said, "I wrote do not open until your birthday, isn't it a federal offense to tamper with mail?" I said, "Yeah, but it's addressed to her, so she's not. Maybe you should address it to grandpa next year." My mom said, "Yeah, I should do that!" There was a pause and my grandma said, "Oh...don't do that." One thing that bugs me about close proximity to past generations is the insistance that anything vaguely resembling woman flesh must clear dishes and make beds and do all the grunt work while the guys sit outside and gab. There's a very real difference between willing helpfulness and indentured servitude. I'm so glad Jason isn't like that.

No comments: