Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'm frond of you!

Today we went to Balboa Park. I just love it there, we've been going since I was a kid and it was so great to get to share it with my kids. We went to the science center there and took in an IMAX movie (narration by Robert Redford, nice!) then walked through the art village and rode the carousel. We left around lunchtime and headed toward the harbor to grab a bite to eat at this awesome Mexican place. I wish we could get real carne asada in Kansas City, I really do. From there we drove to Point Loma, my parent's alma mater. We walked the campus while they told us stories about when they were there (my dad had a second floor dorm room and they strung surgical tubing between two windows to launch water balloons to the floor below) and showed Jason where they had had their classes. One summer we had held a family reunion there (stayed in the dorms) and I think at least six of us, cousins and siblings, decided we were going to go to school there. Our motivation was probably linked to the fact that the college sits on the cliffs that overlook the Pacific. We drove back to my grandparent's place at that point, had some dinner and chatted about old times. They kept bringing up embarrasing stories from my dad's childhood. He said, "See, didn't I tell you this trip was a bad idea?"

No comments: