Saturday, August 23, 2008

We just wanna have fun

I went to Lowes today to get the paint for my closet and met a man who I have named "Rude Larry: The Paint Guy." We'll call him RLTPG for short. (What?) I went up to the counter to get my paint mixed and immediately his girl-dar went off. You know, when a male home improvement shop employee sees a female, unaccompanied by personages of the male species, and they suddenly think, "Ah hah! She has come without a chaperone and must therefore not know what she's talking about." Note: Not all male home improvement store employees have girl-dar. So, okay. Paint. Something girls really DO know a lot about. Hello...home decorating? Paint is the engine that drives that machine, suckas! I said, "Okay, hi, I'd like a half-gallon of this..." (immediate interruption) "We don't have half gallon. We have gallon and quart." "Oh, oops, yeah, I meant quart, satin finish please." (I do always mix those two up, to be fair) He took notations down on the paint chip I handed him. "Okay, anything else?" "Yeah, I'd also like a quart of this (indicating another color) in soft gloss." "That's for kitchens and bathrooms." "Um, yeah, I know." Didn't say what room I was painting. Nurr. Not to mention, I know for a fact paint doesn't care what room it's in once it's on the wall. As you can probably deduce, I spent a good portion of the afternoon inhaling paint fumes in the closet. *cough, wheeze* This evening after dinner Jason and I split the girls up. He took Bri and I took Leigha for some one on one time. Jason took Brianna to the park by the lake then on to the bakery for cookies, I took Leigha to the Imp to see the student show. We all had a good time. I didn't tell Leigha what Bri and Jason were doing and she was really curious. "You'll just have to ask Bri when you get home." While at the show I was sitting in the front row of the theater and there was a reporter there for the KC Star. They're doing a spread on improv in Kansas City and have interviewed a ton of people involved in the scene, including John, so they sent a reporter to cover the show tonight. She took pictures of the action onstage, then whipped her camera around and pointed it at me for a good portion of the show, snapping furiously when I laughed at things. It was a little unnerving, but she explained to me afterward that they had asked for audience reaction pictures and then took down my name. That's never happened to me before...interesting. The shows were great and Leigha and I enjoyed ourselves. The second we walked in the door, though, she pounced on Bri and said, "What did you guys do?" And they talked about it until we forced them into their PJ's for bed.

No comments: