Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Once upon a diary

Jason and I were packing up the living room this evening when I ran across Leigha's diary. She writes the most interesting little stories. Here is one she wrote with illustrations. It starts off with a boy and a girl and they are each telling their stories in speech bubbles until the girl starts telling her story, which is written in narrative form. I'll spare you the 8 year old spellings and translate for you:

Girl: Once upon a time..
Boy: A cool motorcycle dude!
Girl: I will make a better story than you
Boy: Oh! I bet you will make a horrible story.
(this is the page in the picture)
Girl: (narrative) There were four unicorns and there was a princess: Milly Sue. Her favorite one was Buttercup.
(speech bubbles again)
Boy: Buttercup? Oh please. Does it have to be Buttercup? Any other name!
Girl: Nope. Buttercup.
Boy: Come on!
Girl: Nope. (back to narrative) and the four unicorns were attacked by an evil monster. Rooooar! Said the monster.
(back to speech bubbles)
Boy: Hey, time for my story!

And that's it for several pages. I don't know if she's just not finished or if that's it, but that is so stinkin' cute. There is also a page that just says, "I love Lord of the Rings. It is soooooooo cool. I just love it!" Oh yeah. She's my kid all right. :-)

*EDIT 9/7/08* I just got off the phone with my mom who read this entry for the first time. I guess this was a book she read to Leigha at one time. Oh well. I'm impressed Leigha was able to recall it so clearly, though.

5 comments:

Inky Neverwhere said...

It'll be even cuter in 2014, when she discovers your blog by accident, while doing homework, and sees her private personal diary on the interwebs! JK, I'm actually kinda impressed by her story structure. I can't wait to have kids to torture...

sugarbumkin said...

I know, I was actually thinking about that. If she's anything like me she'll think, "Oh, look how cute I was!" But then I'm narcissistic. *shrug* Yeah, you should have seen the story, though, the way the narrative was broken up by speech bubbles but you didn't see the stick figure until the next page...it's really cool. I have the most awesome kids in the universe. :-)

Spark*Life said...

There was a question of her being your kid? She's your mini-me. :) That story is really cute. I especially like the "nope, Buttercup"

The Jamesons said...

So, Jess, Jeff says... "You can't post someone's diary. That's rude." (But the mommy in me still thinks it's cute.)

sugarbumkin said...

:-D It's adorable! Besides, she read me the story, so I think it's okay.