Thursday, February 14, 2008

The true meaning

Forget everything you THINK you know about Valentine's day. THIS is the true meaning: The Cherry Yum Yum Pie. Behold it in all it's sugary fattening goodness. Behold it, I say!!!

Years and years and years ago, about 2 days after the dinosaurs became extinct, my dad proposed to my mom. The date was February 12th. Two days later, she made him this pie for Valentine's day. It was so tasty he said, "It's a good thing I already proposed to you or my buddies would think it was because of this pie." It's been the traditional V-day dessert in my family ever since. I helped out in Leigha's classroom party this afternoon. The head room mom is a snooooob! You try to talk to her and she literally uses an "I'm talking to a two year old" voice to respond, while avoiding eye contact and then ordering you to fill cups with ice. One of those hyperperfect mommies I strive to never become and avoid at all costs. I can't stand people who condescend like that, it drives me crazy. Anyhow, so the kids played musical chairs and it was funny to see every parent in the room watching their child like, "Yeah! You sit in that chair, Johnny! Don't let that little girl in on that, this is YOUR game!" I have to admit I felt my adrenaline going as I saw Leigha get the killin' look in her eyes about the time there were three chairs left. Musical chairs is an underrated competitive sport. Jason came home from work and handed me a tall nonfat peppermint mocha and a heart he twisted out of aircraft-grade wire. He called it a "love coffee." Nice. I reciprocated by giving him the pie. We don't really make a huge deal out of Valentine's day. Everyone else is celebrating by going out and whatnot, it just seems a little forced. Besides, our anniversary is in 11 days. That's a reason to celebrate.