Friday, October 17, 2008

From Stillwell to Smithville.

After Leigha got on the bus this morning, I hastily shellacked myself into a vague resemblance of 'human,' and headed out the door, Brianna in tow. I had heard about an estate sale in Stillwell, KS (about 20 minutes south of KC) that had antique furniture and vintage fabric. Jessica says, "Ca-CHING!" (and take your mo-nay...) I found a great yard or so of fabric for $2! Score! I also got a neat wall-hanging thingy. From there I drove north, planning on hitting up Westport for a few things, but when I parked my car it started POURING rain. No matter, I was about a block from my first destination, so Bri and I walked to Arizona Trading Company. Oh shoot...they don't open 'till 11:00 and it's only 10:39. No matter, I'll head to Re-Runs about two blocks away) since it's so close. I figure I'll give them a second shot....oh, shoot...they don't open 'till noon. No matter, I'll go to that antique store....that one right there that's closed for remodeling. Aaaaand it's still pouring. Okay, fine, I'll go to Broadway antiques. I went around for a bit, looked at a bunch of stuff, found a great "Greetings from Colorado" postcard, and headed back to AZTC. (yup, still pouring) Tried on jeans, looked at purses and shoes...eh, nothing. Aaaaaand I was late. I jumped back in the car, Brianna in tow, and headed to the airport to have lunch with Jason. It was still pouring, and it had gotten worse. Semis all across America decided to unite to thwart my efforts as I struggled against the rain and the semi-spatter (the fine mist that even the best of windshield wipers can't do diddly about) valiantly making my way up north. Aaaand of course, I got to Barry Rd. and it stopped. Hee hee, nice. Jason didn't have a lot of time by the time I got up there, so we went to a drive through and went back to the airport so he could work on the plane when it came in. That's him sticking out of the engine in the picture. I'm thinking of submitting it to www.omnomnomnom.com. (never been? Go!) After lunch I headed out into the dazzlingly radient sunshine to go to Smithville where I heard there was a great vintage clothing store. There's not any more, fyi, but there was an ARC and a great antique shop/cafe' next door that had great cookies. I got one for Bri, since she had been so good. She ate half and gave the rest to Leigha when she got home from school. Jason didn't get back from work until late due to a major traffic jam on the way (car accident) so I let the girls have a picnic dinner in front of the TV so they could watch their favorite show, 'Are you smarter than a 5th Grader.' One of the questions was, "True or false. Crawfish are fish." Leigha said (in a very knowing tone) "Pssht! False!" Of course, the answer is false and the lady answered as such. Leigha piped up once more with, "Duh...there's no such thing as crawfish."

1 comment:

Inky Neverwhere said...

That would be a GREAT omnomnomnom! You totally should.