Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Noteworthy

Jason and I ran around this afternoon. We had a ton of stuff we needed to get, including a new kitty litter box, since Spartacus has outgrown his baby kitten one. (aww...) They grow up so fast! I love that Jason has three day weekends, it's wonderful having him around so much. Tonight's rehearsal was special since Tom Farnan was there to coach us. He basically turned us upside down and shook off the bad yuckable that creeps in when you forget what you're SUPPOSED to be doing, then replaced it with the good stuff, like making sure you don't invent stuff to talk about and focus more on the relationships in the scenes. I'm beginning to think you never stop finding that reminder helpful in improv (experienced improvisers, can you confirm?) After rehearsal we decided to hang out at Yard House and I gave Patrick a ride from the theater to Y.H. He was taking notes from the session (it was his first workshop!) while on the way and I was trying to help him by reminding him of things that had stood out to me. We were discussing character and I mentioned something and he said, "Wow...that's actually really helpful!" Then wrote something down. I didn't see the note but I saw in parenthesis after it it said, "(Thanks Jess!)" Glad I could help, Patrick. My pleasure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The note was that I should WANT to be uncomfortable, as a challenge to myself to always go deeper into characters and out of my comfort zone.

And it said Jessica, not Jess. jeez. :P

Remember how I was talking about getting rid of my ego so I could learn faster? I've been trying to come up with words to describe my target mental state. And I succeeded!

Expanded:
Life is good. I'm grateful for every moment. I love the people around me.
I trust myself to act in my best interest and to use my faculties as needed.
I express my imagination and love to create new things.

Shortened:
I love everything.
I trust myself.
I create reality.

During the times when I can successfully think those thoughts, I have been much more receptive to criticism and new methods.