Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thank you, Stephen Sondheim!

This morning we got up and had a nice breakfast with Aaron and Areasha before loading up and heading into the wild that is Southeastern Colorado. We did the "what has changed" tour of Rocky Ford and Swink (Oh, and hey, Mom, Dad, Lynette-they're FINALLY four lane-ing Highway 50 between Pueblo and Fowler!) before finally arriving in La Junta. We spent the day with our good friends, Jacob and Carla. Their oldest daughter, Destiny, is Leigha's age. In fact, she took her first steps at Leigha's first birthday party! The kids had a blast playing with one another and we got to see Destiny play volleyball. How cool is that that she and Leigha would have that in common? We did the obligatory trip to Wal Mart to see if we'd run into anyone we knew (yeah, it's that small of a town) and played Mario Kart on Jacob and Carla's Wii. It was pretty much perfect. As evening drew near Jacob and Carla took the girls to a fall festival and Jason and I drove to the Picketwire Theater to see Sweeney Todd. *Squee!* My friend Chad got the part of Sweeney Todd in the show and we planned this weekend specifically so we could see the show. They did such a great job, too! The girl who played Mrs. Lovett was just brilliant! And Chad....oh my goodness, Chad was incredible. I totally believed him every step of the way. It also turned out that he designed most of the sets and costumes (uh, wow!) so he proudly showed us the razors and the chair and whatnot, and was kind enough to oblige me when I asked for a picture in the chair. A stagehand asked me if I wanted to go down the slide as well and I was like, "Uh....YEAH!" So after taking the picture Chad hit the release that dropped the hinges, and I rode down the slide to the bottom level of the stage. It was great! The best part? Chad had no clue we were coming. We surprised him! He was thrilled, it was just great. I'm so glad I got to go see the show and see everybody. After getting the kids and sing goodbye to the cast of Sweeney Todd we made the drive back to Pueblo. We couldn't have planned today any better, it was just perfect.

3 comments:

Lynette said...

Who all was in it? Good job Chad! I can't believe how old he is now. Janina and I saw it at TMCC tonight with Kate and Nina's friend Katie. Chills the whole time up my arms and whatnot. It was kind of amazing! Plus, my friends were leading characters so I pretty much rock . . . :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good time! See you Tuesday!

sugarbumkin said...

Lynette-I didn't recognize any names besides Chad, George Larsen (Pirelli, and he was fabulous!) and Mallory Vining (chorus member) I'll bring the program out when we come out there in a couple weeks.

Patrick-wo0t! Can't wait!