Friday, May 30, 2008

Get around downtown

Bri and I had lunch with Jason today. We drove up to the airport and picked him up then went to Platte City's Taco Bell. Lately I've had a problem with random strangers interrupting my conversations with people to talk to said people. Melissa and I had been interrupted by a woman a table over who desperately wanted to talk about what a bad parent her daughter was last week, and today some random guy walked up to our table while Jason and I were trying to have lunch and started gabbing his ear off with questions about where he went to school and stuff. Like, I was literally in the middle of a sentance and this guy neither of us knew just came up and started talking to Jason. I started talking to Jason again and this guy just started into it again, then asked us to consider voting for some guy. Yeah, buddy, if your politician is anything like you I'd never even give it a second thought. Rudeness=negative one vote for your candidate. After lunch I dropped Jason off then went to look for a Home Depot. I thought there was one right by the airport but it turned out to be something else, so I drove south, hunting, and ended up crossing the extremely high Missouri River (seriously, is it flooding or something?) and into downtown. Luckily I know exactly where the Home Depot is in Westport, so I ran in, grabbed what I needed, and left. It was strange being downtown on a weekday afternoon, so many business types running around in suits and such. Sometimes I forget that's what downtown is for. Everyone in my neck of the woods works in the vicinity pretty much, except Jason who works at the airport. I left downtown and remembered I had to grab some dinner for tonight so I went to Wal-Mart, got some fixin's, and ran back to the car only to discover it didn't respond to the fact that I was definetely manipulating the ignition with a key. Not even a blip. 100 degrees in the car, frozen foods, and a three year old who needs a nap. Craaaap. I called Jason and told him what was going on and his first suggestion was to tell me to smack the steering column. Nice. Then he told me to pop the hood and sure enough there was a little wire that had joggled loose, so I plugged it back together and it started up just fine. Hooray for cheap cars and cheap fixes!

One last thing: I've decided if I ever write a book I'm not going to plaster my face all over the back of the hardcover edition. So many authors do that and it's a little creepy. Right now I'm reading a Nora Roberts book. She's not smiling, one of her eyebrows is slightly cocked and she has a knowing look in her eyes. It's like she's telling me, "I see you. I know you're reading my work of art in the bathroom, and I don't approve."

No comments: