Thursday, May 1, 2008

Negative Nelly

Today was not fun. It wasn't bad, really, just a lot of drudgery. I got up and took Leigha to school then went back to the old house (see picture) and cleaned, got rid of some trash, and moved things around to be more accessible. I came home, unloaded my car, and went out for sushi for the first time since I had my wisdom teeth taken out (I heard many warnings about not eating rice as it can get stuck in the holes in your gums.) I ordered Brianna a california roll in addition to the fried rice she requested. She picked up a piece of the sushi uncertainly and said, "Mommy? Do I eat the tape?" She was pointing to the seaweed that holds the roll together. Nice. I ran to Target on the way home so I could grab some breakfast bars since we don't have a fridge yet and can't buy milk without one, then came home so Bri could take her nap. I did some stuff on the computer then began to relax and read, when to my surprise I woke up and found I had dozed off (I never, never do that. I must be more worn out than I thought) and it was time to get Leigha from school. I picked her up, went back to the old house, grabbed a load of things, took them back to the new house, then met up with Jason for dinner and it was off to RI rehearsal. I was hoping for a fun reprieve from the day, but unfortunately it felt more like a chore than the happy fun goodness I had been expecting. We had a tornado warning and had to go down to the basement during warmups and after that my excitement for the evening had waned. On top of that we did a music inspired longform for the second half of rehearsal and mixed signals caused some confusion on the stage and it just wasn't as satisfying as I had hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong, there was some good stuff, but I wish I had gotten more out of rehearsal. Oh well, at least this is a performance week, perhaps I can catch a mental break then. After rehearsal I went back to the old house and helped Jason load up our friend Jason's truck and my car. I wish I could say they were the last loads, but they are not. We ran out of boxes and receptacles with which to put things in and it's very slow going here. The good news is we had an inattentive landlord who won't care that we weren't moved out by the first. (it was awesome having nobody checking up on us, our first landlords ever did that all the time. I remember one time the guy came over and sat on our porch watering the lawn for three hours while I was in the house.) We're almost done. One last desperate gasp and we should be completely finished. I can't wait.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Here is a secret: While you're at the new fabulous house, the piles of crap in the old house you just want to get out of MULTIPLY.

This is what makes it possible to leave without missing the old house.

Inky Neverwhere said...

My stuff did that too, when we moved. It's like it all decompresses when you remove the top layers... FOOM!

sugarbumkin said...

Oh crap...my stuff is multiplying over there? I gotta get back right away! We don't have a fridge yet so we left everything in the fridge over there, including the alcohol. Everyone knows alcohol is a catalyst for multiplication! *runs*