Thursday, December 11, 2008

Now starring?

Today was fun, Melissa and I went to a couple estate sales. I loaded up the car for about $20! *squee!* Saving money is fun! We were in the vicinity of Westport so we decided to hit Jerusalem Cafe for lunch. She's never had mediterranian and she loved it! We got back just in time for Brianna's nap. I made my awesome chili for dinner then went to Roving Imp rehearsal. There was a lot of strange happening, due in large part to a couple people having had bad days, but we did have a good rehearsal. This is John indicating his "This is what a perfect longform should look like" Vanna White style. It would take a while to explain what some of those terms mean (game and relationship don't quite mean what you think they mean when in an improv context) so if you really want to know, ask and I shall go into enough detail so you get it. If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could imagine different animals in place of the words on the pie chart and arrange them biggest to smallest by which one of those animals you think has a better chance of winning a cage match. Just trying to make the blog a little fun for those of you who don't feel intellectually stimulated by my words. (America)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked your story about the intensity of that nonverbal relationship scene. I think 90% of relationships / emotions should be communicated non-verbally.

"I am higher status than you! I feel sad about [x]!"

It's just too contrived. Humans are intelligent enough to pick up on body language and tonality.

You're doing great as usual! I'm digging the positivity!

sugarbumkin said...

Well, thanks! I love reading comments from you, btw.

Nonverbal relationships are great, but you really really REALLY have to ramp up the projected emotion about 20 times more than you think you are. You really, truly have to ACT and FEEL what you're trying to communicate, or it does NOT come across, like, at all. When you're having trouble with that, though, or when you still don't think your scene partner is "getting it," that's when you really have to say, "I feel [x] about that." Or "That makes me feel so [x]." I agree with you about it being too contrived, but sometimes you have to clearly define what you're trying to convey. (FYI, it will make you feel lame and hack-y. Ramping up your emoting is harder, but you will ultimately be MUCH happier when you walk off that stage.